Located on the Klias Peninsula is the Klias Wetland, a Mangrove Forest Reserve. With the bizarre-looking proboscis monkey gaining as much popularity with the tourists as the orang utan, the Klias Wetland with its large proboscis population is fast becoming the latest ecotourism destination in Sabah.
These tree-dwelling animals normally hunt for food in the evenings so many boat cruises depart the Kota Klias jetty at around 3.00pm. Other riverside residents that may be spotted are macaques, crocodiles, monitor lizards, tree snakes and birds such as the eagle.
Back on the jetty, enjoy a natural light show when hundreds of fireflies put on a glowing performance for your benefit.
|Visit||Mangrove Forest(Proboscis Monkey, Firefly)|
|Include||Land & Boat Transfer, Entrance Fee, Meal, Guide|
|Remark||Extra charge RM 30.00 per pax for any outskirt hotel pick up/ drop off (Shangrila Rasa Ria Resort, Nexus Karambunai, Borneo Beach Villas)|
- You will be picked up from the hotel lobby.
- Journey to Kota Klias Peninsula (approximately 112km from Kota Kinabalu city), situated between beaufort and Kuala Penyu. It will be a scenic ride pass local villages, fruit stalls and small towns.
- Some local hi-tea favorites awaits upon destination, before you get those binoculars on stand-by and ready for your safari river cruise.
- Mosey down the Klias river on an open boat. Your tour guide will be there to point out any exciting wildlife spottings. Keep your eyes peeled for the elusive long-nosed proboscis, long-tailed macaques, birds such as Kingfishers, darter, eagles. You will be able to differentiate the female and male proboscis by their behavior. If you are lucky, you might be able to spot some nocturnal animals like the flying fox and night bats.
- After the exciting river cruise, enjoy a sumptuous dinner by the river lodge which typically consists of meats marinated in different styles, rice, potatoes and veggies..
- As darkness set in, board the boat again to witness and be amazed by nature’s Christmas lighting, the fireflies! Depending on weather condition and luck, you might even spot nocturnal animals like the flying fox and night bats.
- Depart for Kota Kinabalu and transfer to your respective hotel.